Spoiler Page: Reconstructing Amelia by Kim McCreight
This is a SPOILER PAGE. This means that if you are looking for a review of the book Reconstructing Amelia, go to this link. If you have read Reconstructing Amelia and want to hash it out… stay here. This is where we hash.
I feel a little odd doing a spoiler page for a book that I have never heard of until it was nominated at book club last week, however: 1) There are questions that I have about the book that I want to discuss and 2) I have a feeling this book may go on to bigger and better things and therefore I would like to be on the forefront of that wave.
While the topic of same sex relationships among teens was a harder one, I think what bothered me the most was her age. I had a hard time seeing Amelia in my mind doing all these rather big steps so rapidly at the age of fifteen. Yet, even as I type this a little voice in my head is saying “Please…. everything happens fast at 15, you have no control over your emotions or who you ever are yet!”
Moving on from that topic – the last 100 pages felt rushed. Everything starts to be revealed but lots of questions are unanswered.
1. They dabble on the disease of Waardenburg was interesting but strangely placed…
2. Jeremy. Jeremy. What the heck was he thinking coming across as Ben??? How utterly weird was that? Creeper anyone?
3. Jeremy again. SO he sleeps with his female employees… enough to make women come after Kate years later? Jeremy. What a waste of space.
4. SO does Kate quit her job after all is said and done and she finds out what a true creeper Jeremy is or does she stay and become a torture for Jeremy’s wife? Inquiring bloggers want to know!
5. Dylan is so undefined I don’t even think I can talk about her…. she is just this girl who Amelia likes.
Sigh. Alright. I don’t mean to give the impression I did not like the book. I did. I just like answers 🙂
Your turn. Thoughts.. questions… rants? Raves?