Saturday Snapshot…. It’s Happening.
Well I certainly did not plan on being MIA this past week here, but I see my last post was a week ago. A week on heavy library activity and we are down to the wire planning for Wine and Words. Lots of busy volunteers out there making the final steps happen. This week I worked on the table brochure, seating arrangements with my friend Sue, lots of email communications, sponsor information, phone calls, ticket sales, communications to our venue, and tomorrow myself and the Co-Chair Gail will hopefully take care of the final silent auction items which we are planning on a good 4-6 hours at the library doing that.
This week at the Brainerd Public Library a lot of things were happening fast.
- We got the word that the cement people were coming to lay out the plan for the benches and give the bid.
- The Library Director and I went and layed out the plan for the benches and where they would go.
- When they came the bid was a good one and they said they would be able to do the job on Friday. (Yesterday)
- We hit “go mode” and bought materials to put stone around two of the trees in the area the benches would go to add a nice park feel to the area.
- I dug up hostas from my own gardens because I loved the symbolism of having the plants being from our home where my son’s bench was going to be placed.
- Thursday we were able to work on it a little bit in the morning and then we were rained out.
- Friday morning we finished the hosta project (including a bonus space because we had extra stones) and the cement people did their thing.
- The benches will go in early this next week.
A little background on the benches for those of you who are not familiar with my story of the past 4 months…. when my 24 year old son was killed in a car accident in April of this year, the book community did an AMAZING thing. A group of bookish friends who I have connected with through here, started up a bench fund so a bench could be placed at our local library in memory of my son.
My heart… runneth over.
This bench led to the Friends of the Brainerd Public Library moving forward on something we had talked about over the last couple of years, and that was putting some nice outdoor benches outside the Library. The Friends, on top of what the book community started with Justin’s bench, tossed in an additional $10,000 so we could add a bench on both sides of Justin’s as well as an octagon picnic table, a heavy duty garbage can, and two more benches for the Children’s outdoor area of the library.
I will post pictures once the benches are in place. I have seen Justin’s bench and it is BEAUTIFUL.
As you can imagine, this whole project has been bitter sweet. I love being a part of it and digging my hands into the dirt knowing that this will become a place where people will sit and read, and talk, and enjoy. For those of you who contributed to making this happen… I can not thank you enough. Even now, 4 months in I still cry every day. This bench… this project means so much.
I am posting this to Saturday Snaphot, where people all over the world can add pictures of what is happening in their lives. ♥
Posted on August 8, 2015, in Brainerd Library, Meanderings, Saturday Snapshots and tagged Brainerd Library, Brainerd Public LIbrary, Morning Meanderings, Saturday Snapshots. Bookmark the permalink. 19 Comments.