Dewey Read-A-Thon Update Post
This post is where I will update my participation in todays read-a-thon. (See my intro post and why I am reading today in the sticky post above this one – just click on home or the Book Journey header and it will take you there ) Most current info will be at the top:
I started at 7:00 am central time
current update time: 6:59pm
Current pages read: 72
Current audio listened to: 420 minutes
Currently Reading: The Storied Life of A F Fickrey by Gabrielle Zevin
Listening to: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green ♥♥♥♥♥
Books/audio completed: WOO HOO!!!
Sleep Donation by Karen Russell
1. What are you reading right now? The Storied Life of A J Fikry
2. How many books have you read so far? 2 1/2
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? not sure yet… I have quite a pile here😉
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Nope – just turned out I could stay at home and hubby was gone all day.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? No, went to town once to get dinner but listened to audio on the way
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? Nothing really, it has been very relaxing
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope – everyone is doing fantastic.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? Asa reader I would consider getting away to a hotel or to our cabin to have complete quiet. I have two bouncing dogs here that have been a bit nutty chasing each other around the house.
9. Are you getting tired yet? Nope
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Not really – I have played many roles in the past read a thons and I think everyone is doing an awesome job.
When our book club read Reconstructing Amelia I was in charge of a main dish. In the book, Amelia’s favorite place to eat was Hibachi. I figured why not? So I did a little research and made a delicious Hibachi dish. Here is that recipe:
4-6 skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion sliced
3 -4 Zucchini Squash
2 yellow squash
3 cups mushrooms (I bought the pre sliced from the produce area of the grocery store)
2 cans drained bean sprouts ( or 3 cups fresh)
2 colored peppers (I used red and yellow – these are optional)
salt and pepper
Slice chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.
Take the mushrooms and slice into bite size pieces and set aside.
Slice the onion, squash, and peppers into strips of bite size pieces, keep separate from the mushrooms.
Place a tablespoon of olive oil in two separate large fry pans. Over medium high heat heat the oil in both pans. In one pan place the chicken, in the other pan place the vegie mix of onion, squash and peppers. Place 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of butter over the chicken. Add salt and pepper. Place two tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of butter over the vegies. Saute the vegie pan while occasionally stirring the cooking chicken pan.
When chicken is done (about 8-10 minutes), vegies should be done as well. Take the vegies off the hot burner and set aside. Take the chicken and slide it to one side of the pan sprinkling it with a little lemon juice and then sprinkle on sesame seeds over the chicken. In the other half of the pan place a tablespoon of butter and as it melts stir in the mushrooms. Put a little soy sauce over the mushrooms. When mushrooms are cooked, mix it with the chicken and add the rest of the vegies from the other pan. gently toss the mixture over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
Place chicken vegie mix into a large serving pan.
In the pan you just used for the chicken and vegie mix, place a tsp of olive oil and toss in the bean sprouts until they are hot. place the bean sprouts on top of the chicken mix in the serving pan.
Serve hot with the Hibachi Sauce.
Cheer for Read-A-Thon! It builds community!!!
Best Sci Fi book – The Martian (wow oh wow!)
Best non fiction – Love Life by Rob Lowe
Best fiction – Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes
Best mystery – Missing You by Harlan Coben
Hour 5 Mini Challenge – Book Puzzle (here is my effort) 😀
Name that book? This is one I am reading today. Here is the answer if you want to see if you were right.
Please remember that I am reading/listening for charity today – I am doing a 150 mile bike ride in June to raise money for MS, please consider donating to my efforts by using this link here. I am giving away a book (above post) out of those who contribute to this important cause. Every dollar helps