Thursday already. Seems like this week flew by. I feel like we have hardly grazed everything we could discuss about audio books and now the week is almost over. Did you know June is audio book month? Really … I could talk audio the rest of the month and as you know – I review a lot of audio books. 😀
So today’s discussion question from the lovely Jen of Devourer of Books is:
What do you do while you listen? Any particular tasks or games that you find amazing for audio time?
When ever I talk about the audio I am listening to, I receive at least one comment about either 1) where do you find the time or 2) how do you listen to several at once?
The time part is easy. My hubby and I had our kids young and currently one son is in college and the other in the Navy. We own an excavating business which keeps my hubby busy about 12 + hours a day and he keeps farmers hours (up at 5:30 am in bed by 8:30 pm) so I have a lot of time where I am either hanging out alone or awake alone. 😀
I listen to audio:
1. When I get up in the morning while I make the bed, shower, pick out clothes, makeup and hair and get ready for my day. That’s usually 30 minutes of audio time. (audio on IPOD)
2. I go into the kitchen and while I check email and pour myself a cup of coffee or make an egg (I don’t personally make the egg -a chicken did that, I just cook it 😉 ) I listen to the audio either in the cd player or the one on my phone. that’s about 15 – 20 minutes.
3. When I drive to work I listen to audio in the car which is only a 3 mile drive but I listen to audio whenever I am in the car as I am usually driving alone so I listen away. (probably about a minimum of 30 minutes a day on that one.)
4. I listen to audio when I cook or dust, or fold clothes – any task that is not noisy when I do it. (back to the audio on my phone or cd player)
5. I listen to audio while I mow the lawn. The lawn takes me about 2 1/2 hours and I love it as that is full on undiluted audio time. (Ipod)
6. Occasionally if I am web browsing on the weekend, I will listen to audio while I do that (phone, IPOD, or cd audio )- whichever one hold my attention at the time)
7. Sometimes when I am filing papers or doing easy tasks that just take time, not my full attention – I listen to audio.
To answer the second question – how do I keep them straight. I don’t really know. They are usually quite diverse in genre as well as narration and I am able to pick up where I left off. For instance, currently in the IPOD is Inferno by Dan Brown – male narrator, “puzzley” mystery type. On my phone is The Last Original Wife and it is more funny, the female narrator has an awesome southern twang that I am enjoying very much. Is This Tomorrow is the audio cd in the jeep and this is more literature style, female narrator with a raspy type even paced voice (Xe Sands is the narrator which is usually awesome – but I don’t know about this one… more on that in my review). As you see, each is very different from the other.
To those of you who have not tried audio or think you have to sit in a chair staring at a wall to listen I hope I just showed you that audio is to be listened to and mixed in with your life. There are so many ways to listen to audio that I do hope that either this post or a post that someone else writes on this topic today triggers for you a way that you could give it a try. Earlier posts this week gave suggestions of what to listen to, and now you know when to listen 😀
But Sheila…. I don’t have an empty house like you do! I have kids, and a spouse who works regular hours and it is summer so I have beach dates with other parents and …..
Anyone can carve out a little time. 😀 Go forth and walk, clean, jog, mow, do the dishes, cook, dust, drive, bake, shower, clean out the frig, organize your books, do the windows, plant your garden, pull weeds, sweep the deck, file papers, work on crafts, build something in the garage, clean the garage, mark items for a garage sale, riding on the back or a motorcycle (I have done this!) clean a closet, hang clothes on a clothes line, eat lunch, paint your nails….
all while listening to audio. 😀
Have a fab day. It is storming out this morning and I am on day 5 of my half marathon training. The first 3 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday were 3 mile walk/runs. Yesterday was a scheduled break (there are 2 a week) and today is a 3 mile that I will be doing at the YMCA this morning before work so I had better get moving 😀
Later tonight I am hoping it clears up and dries up so I can mow (Yes – to audio!)